Saturday, February 5, 2011

Valley of the Kings( Big Cat Sanctuary)- My first day

1/2/2009

I sent this to a friend via email, lucky for me she kept it and sent it to me on my 2 year anniversary.

The sanctuary is about 25 miles from Whitewater.
I put in 4 volunteer hrs today. Had to cut it short because Alicia was heading back to Eau Claire & I wanted to see her off.

Unfortunately due to the ice it was an ice bath at the farm so it was slow moving.
I am so glad I have a strong stomach and a neutral mind to not be phased by all the carcasses all over the place.
Most of the area farmers drop off dead cows, calves & deer. Because of the cold weather they are able to store them outside.
\When they are ready to use them they bring them inside the buildings to thaw- yuck, but necessary and not the greatest smell in the world either.
I honestly don't know how anyone would want to have a snack or eat lunch with all that right there, but they do- no thanks for me.

There are about 20 regular domestic cats on the site, all well taken care of. Some have been scarred, my guess they were dropped off and left.
It seems the majority of big cats are bengals. I only saw one male lion w/ full mane, lots of females, some cougars. Didn't get to see them all today. there are supposed to be 50 total.
The wolves are beautiful and they have one that is all white.
I got to clean & feed the cats, rabbits, horses ( one blind/missing eyes & the other missing 1 eye), chewy the camel, and lumpy the obnoxious Llama, donkeys, wallabee(very cute), chickens, goats,sheep, peacocks, Homer the razorback ( OMG he is huge) and his buddy Lily the pig ( she is a beautiful creamy orange color).

I will be spending my Sundays out there and I am looking forward to next week when I can spend more time. I will at least be partially used to the routine. I sure hope the ice is gone. So glad I didn't slip and fall in poop.

No comments:

Post a Comment