Saturday, February 5, 2011

Oh My Aching Body....

Today is Sunday, my volunteer day at Valley of the Kings. The day started at minus 7 degrees. ugh. I had so many layers on I felt like the sta-puff marshmallow man.
When I got to the work room there was a "to do"list with my name on it. I don't mind the lists, I am more than happy to do the extra work and I am happy that I am trusted to do it.
Today's list was to make sure various animals got extra hay to eat and extra hay for bedding. 20 something bales of hay and approximately 15 sled loads of poop later, I am one hurtin' momma.

The highlights of today were Homer the razorback hog & Lily the hog. Homer is a big boy, probably weighs about 500lbs. He actually is a very gentle soul and I am not afraid of him, but he does require caution. Homer is not into being physical, meaning if he has to move it requires a trip to get food or water. I took the first bale of hay and rolled it over the fence, my plan being to take it apart and fluff it for him while he was inside his house. As soon as the bale hit the ground he popped out of his house and started pulling it into his house. I cut the bale and Homer dragged in the first flake, that gave me time to get in and start pulling apart & fluffing the hay. Homer was on a mission, apparently he was more then ready for the extra bedding. Hogs/pigs will actually build a nest. It is fun to watch them become so focused on getting the hay just right. Hog heaven takes on a whole new light.
It was a repeat performance in watching Lily get her nesting done. She was so happy, that darn ground can get cold. Not sure where the old hay goes, maybe she eats it little by little, no clue. Lily shares a house with the goats, there is a barrier that divides their living areas.
The emu's live next to Homer and on the other side are the tiger's on Tiger Row.
Even though I take care of the emu's, today was actually the first time I heard them imitate the tiger's growl.
Emu's can actually imitate other animals. So of course, being right next to the tiger's it was natural for them to pick up that sound.
I had to clean out the emu hut,nasty, so I could fill it with fluffed hay. Sad to say that I found 3 cracked emu eggs.
They had cracked & the yoke had frozen. Emu eggs are beautiful, they have a mottled teal appearance. Apparently they are highly sought after by artists for etchings. Unfortunately these eggs were lost unless they could be used in pieces.
My day finally neared the end, it was dark, and I had one more animal left to give hay for bedding. Chester, the wallabee.
I love Chester.
A wallabee is a miniature version of a kangaroo. Chester has a side area that is heated, I needed to crawl inside to fill it. Chester was so excited that I was down on his level. He loves to grab my arm while I scrub his back. After I finished and as I said goodbye, he farted. That put a smile on my face and it was a good way to end a hard day.

and my body is still aching.....but it is a good ache

No comments:

Post a Comment