Saturday, February 5, 2011

Do U Emu?

Emu ( Dromaius novaehollandiae )
The emu is the largest bird in Australia, and the second largest in the
world after the ostrich.
The emu can grow to between 5 to 6 feet in height and weigh up to 130 lbs.
The males are slightly smaller than the females. That is something I didn't know until just now while researching some emu facts.

The males make a grunting noise that sounds like a pig and the females make a loud booming noise.

There are 3 emu's at VOTK. Two females( Dora & Darcy) and one male (Gus).
So now that I know the males are smaller, my buddy is actually Gus, and that is who I plan on writing about.
I always thought that Gus was one of the females simply by the usual bird rule of thumb. The males are bigger and flashier. I guess that does not apply to emu's.
The emu's at VOTK are housed in between Homer the razorback and the tigers. So hearing them imitate the pig & tiger is a unique experience because at times it is hard to tell who is making which noise.

I have been taking care of the Emu's on Sundays for over a year now. About 2-3 months ago one of the emu's became my buddy. I noticed that while I was inside their area that one emu followed me around and when I stood still would be right at my side. This is Gus, the only male. I guess that Gus is sweet on me.

I decided I would try some one on one bonding and started petting Gus on the neck, he loved it.
I gently stroke his very long neck, because his neck seems so fragile I am always careful.
I then started scritching him on his head, ahhhh emu bliss.
Today he snuggled up as close as he could get, rested his neck against my chest and arm and was totally content.
Now I am thinking of the song by Captain & Tenille, "Muskrat Love" but replacing Muskrat with Emu.
Honestly, my one on one time with Gus is something I look forward to every Sunday.

Today I thought back to the Angel reading I had approximately 2 years ago.
My angels told me that I would be working with fur & feathers. The fur was easy as I had animals in my life with my dogs and cats. I couldn't figure out how in the world that birds would become a part of my life.
Well here I am, every Sunday, I volunteer my time to take care chickens, peacocks, ducks, geese and the emu's!
Wow and how cool.. Not only that, my fur repertoire has expanded to include all the other wonderful animals at VOTK.

After today's bonding experience I knew it was finally time to sit down and write this blog. Again, I knew the title. But as always, it had to be the right time to put the story to the title.

No comments:

Post a Comment