Monday, October 24, 2011

“They need us as much as we need them”


A friend asked me how I was able to continue bringing new animals into my life when losing them is so painful.  She had just made the difficult decision to put her dog to sleep after an unfortunate incident.
My immediate reply was “They need us as much as we need them”.  
God created us with an unending capacity to love and be loved. 
I could not imagine life without any of my pets.   I have 10 of them right now, 8 cats and 2 dogs.
There are many people with many more pets.  If I could afford more, I think I would be open, but it is a struggle, however, a worthwhile one.
There was a time when I thought I would not be able to adopt another dog.  My Maxine was the perfect dog and I could never find one as smart, loving and devoted as she was.  I also thought about the constraints that come with a dog.   Did I really want to start all over again?
My thought process turned completely upside down one weekend in November, 5 years ago.  My daughter was home from college, she wanted to see the German Shepherd puppies at the pet store. I reluctantly agreed, she also tried to convince me that Maxine needed a friend and that she was getting old ( she was 12 at the time).
At $1200 it was a no brainer, no way.  I told her that there are rescues for many breeds.   
Though I didn’t know of any personally I decided to just check on some to show her.   A quick Google check brought up White Paws German Shepherd Rescue located in Green Bay.  The feature dog was Kenyon.  I read his story and my heart melted.  He had been through hell and back in his 5 years and had been in his foster home for 9 months, he was a hardship case.   I knew in no uncertain terms that we belonged together.    
It was 9 pm, late but I couldn’t hold back, I had to call and ask about him.  Though WPGSD is located in Green Bay, he was actually being fostered just 18 miles away from where I lived.  I made an appointment to see him the next day.
It was a drizzling, overcast day but I was going to meet him, nothing was going to keep me away.  His foster dad, Keith, lives on a gentleman’s farm.  He had Kenyon in the barn, he was well taken care of, but he was wild.  As soon as he let him out he ran all over the barn and up and down the hay bales- boy oh boy, what was I doing???    I put him on the leash and we walked together towards the house.  He walked well, he behaved and was happy to be walked.   I leaned over and asked” what do you think boy, do you want to live with me?”  He responded by giving me a nuzzle, our fates were sealed.
Bringing Kenyon into my life was one part of the beginning of my reawakening.    It was a rocky beginning, but once he understood that he was in his forever home, that Maxine was the alpha and the cats were off limits, he quickly settled in.  He opened a gateway to my soul and brought out more love in me than I thought was possible.  Kenyon was an amazing dog, his transformation from a dog who was tied to a tree for 5 years and abused, who was terrified of storms and men wearing dark clothing,  to a loving dog who was always by my side, who slept next to me every night, who trusted me wholeheartedly, he was 110 lbs of pure love and devotion.   I could go on and on of how wonderful he was and how much we both grew together.  But his story is still a difficult one for me, it still hurts my heart more than any other companion I have had.  He was with me a brief 2 ½ years and left my side abruptly due to bloat.  It was one of the hardest decisions I ever had to make, but I knew his quality of life was first and foremost.  I knew he was ready, he put his massive head on my shoulder and we held each other as he quietly passed.  I’m not sure how I got home that night, it was 3 am, I bawled and moaned in grief the whole way home.  What I do remember is when I was ¾ of the way home there was a big marquee and on that sign it said RAINBOW BRIDGE.  That was my confirmation; he was home and would always be with me in spirit.  
I guess where I was going with this was that once Kenyon opened that door to my heart,  I have had 3 dogs since Maxine passed.  I adopted Lily, another White GSD on the day she was to be euthanized.  Lena came in to my life 30 days after I lost Kenyon. I was not ready to have another dog so soon.  A friend of a friend of a friend knew someone that needed to find a home for Lena.  Her options were a shelter or donate her body to the vet school, she was 7 ½ yrs old.  I fought it, and even though I tried to find her a new home because I knew she was a danger to my cats, I would look in to her eyes and see that she needed me.  So she also found a place in my heart.    Two and a half years later, she is still stalking my cats, yet  I have never regretted the decision to keep her or any of my pet companions.   I have several seniors.  I lament the day I start noticing a decline in their health and that I will have to make a decision to help them home or let them pass naturally.  They will always have quality of life, unending love and a notch in my heart and soul forever.  We need to open our hearts for new pet companions, for they need us as much as we need them, for that I will always be certain.

No comments:

Post a Comment