Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Homer the Razorback

Homer is a razorback hog at VOTK. I love Homer. Homer's buddy, Lily the pig was moved to the front of the compound about a month ago. Even though they were separated by a fence due to Homer's poor judgment ( he had injured her hind leg), they still cared for each other. They would meet at the dividing fence and chit chat and just enjoy each others company. Homer misses her, I can see it and feel it. I always make sure that I spend some time talking to Homer and bring him apples ( he loves, loves apples). However, because I have been so busy with chores and projects at VOTK, his area was getting overgrown with weeds. I was back visiting with him while he was trying to navigate the 8 feet tall weeds ( no exaggeration) to go potty. When I checked him later he seemed stuck in the mud while trying to get to his feeder. the look he gave me tugged at my heart. That was it, I made the time. As soon as he was back near his house and I felt it was okay to go in I pulled every jungle plant out of his enclosure, packed hay in the mud pond by his feeder and put in gravel/sand near his house so he wouldn't sink in the mud. I promised him that I would clean his house & water tank the following week. I made sure that his area was at the top of my list. Clean house, lots of fluffy hay and extra apples! A happy Homer is a wonderful thing. I love Homer and I know he loves me, I see it in his eyes. There is beauty in everything, even a scary looking razorback with a heart of gold.


No comments:

Post a Comment