Sunday, December 16, 2012

My thoughts turned to how I spend my Sundays...


On my drive home tonight my thoughts turned to how I spend my Sundays.  Last week I turned 54.

At my age I am blessed to be in good health, strong, full of energy and to have a passion that fills my heart.

Today there was no normal to my routine.  I think the main theme of the day was “mini-donkeys”.   I was able to get the barn animals fed before I needed to load up one of the mini-donkeys who was just adopted. She was one of the mini’s that had been part of a county farm seizure.  Her new owners will love her, she is friendly and enjoys attention.  Shortly  after  the donkey adoption someone came to pick up 6 ducks they were adopting that were part of the same farm seizure.  I ended up giving them a short tour of the place. I think I probably walked around in 20 circles before figuring out the next priority. LOL.  I had to finish cleaning out a room in the barn and set it up to move a very pregnant mini-donkey, so she can give birth safely and quietly. Once done, had to move said donkey. Luckily she was very cooperative, I was very amazed.  I tried to give worming medicine to an uncooperative  draft horse. ( think Budweiser Beer size horse). With it being muddy and all the horses acting up, I decided after several attempts it was not worth risking. I tried to give a mini-donkey wormer too, gave up on that after a donkey rodeo.  I moved 4 mini-donkeys into the pole barn and “wrassled & dragged”, (that is not an exaggeration), the male for a good 20 minutes trying to get him to the outside pen.  I was able to get everyone fed of course, squeeze in cleaning the goat hut, goat feeder, top cleaning the straw in the emu house, cleaned a horse stall, filled up a few water tubs.   And all the little things in between.  It was now dark.  With a heavy heart I walked over to the Mississippi pen.  It was time to say goodbye to Roary.
He was released from his pain and sent over the Rainbow Bridge to be free.    I also had to help with moving his body.  There are many sides to volunteering at Valley of the Kings.  The painful aspects, such as saying goodbye to these wonderful animals when it is their time,  the body aches and pains from the physical labor,  it is all outweighed by the joy & love we experience by just sharing their space. 

Love and Light, to Infinity and Beyond.  Life is what you make of it, and my life is GREAT.

No comments:

Post a Comment